Friday, July 22, 2011

Whitewater Rafting

In thinking about this assignment, two things readily came to my mind as “teaching dilemmas” that I have encountered as an educator. The first of these is the “Muddling Through” aspect of being in the education and training field that Stephen D. Brookfield talks about in his book, “The Skillful Teacher”. I find that I feel the inadequacy he talks about in chapter one very often, and I really thought it was just me…that maybe I wasn’t quite cut out for the profession I had chosen and that I would just need to work harder at it than other, more skilled people in the field. It was good to hear that this happens to lots of people, and that I am not unique in that aspect. I can’t say I am okay with constantly feeling as though I am not good enough, but hope that I can at least find some ways to help me make those internal voices a little less convincing. I very often get these feelings when I get ready to do a front end analysis. I have doubts like, “Am I going to be asking the right questions? What if I ask the wrong questions and end up developing something that doesn’t meet the actual need? Am I sure I even know how to do this? What if I can’t think on my feet fast enough to adapt to whatever situation I might encounter?” and many others. I can definitely relate to the whitewater rafting analogy because the line you think is the best way downstream doesn’t always end up being the absolute best way because there happens to be a boulder right in the way that you couldn’t see or anticipate from up above, before you picked that line, and so you have to adjust and reevaluate your options at that point.
The second dilemma I deal with is when to help a student, and when to let them figure it out themselves. For example, when facilitating computer based training, frequently we have students that have no idea how to use a computer. We have books that walk them through the process step-by-step, and we encourage them to use the books. Occasionally, we have students that don’t want to read, they would rather have someone tell them what to do, or do it for them. I think it is beneficial to have these students figure it out for themselves because then it is more likely to stick and they will remember for next time they need to do training. Some students don’t use computers except for when they have to come and take our training, and so the books don’t make sense to them. It is hard to tell the difference between the two types of students, and so it is hard to know who to help, and who to encourage to just figure it out.
I think I will eventually get the “who to help” question figured out, but I think I will probably go to my grave with my own feelings of inadequacy, fighting those voices in my head that tell me I’m not capable of doing the job to an acceptable level.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jared,
    I’m responding to your discussion because I see that you are struggling with a few problems dealing with “teaching dilemmas.” I think that we all may face these types of problems being educators. I would like to try to offer you a few ideas that may help you to see new ways of seeing these problems, and maybe a solution.
    I understand you when you say that you feel that you will probably go to your grave with your own feelings of inadequacy fighting those voices in your head that tell you your not capable of doing the job to an acceptable level, and I think that some ways that you probably can solve this problem is to reassure yourself that you are capable. I also think that you should express your feelings with friends and love ones, so that they can help reassure you that you are capable of doing a job well done. I strongly believe that believing in yourself is the key to succeeding any goal that you set out to do. I think that you will succeed so stay confident and strong and you will make it to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared, this will seem perhaps like a strange response...but...I have been doing some work on me and came across a "teacher" named Byron Katie. Her work is actually called The Work and is aimed at "Loving What Is" which is really about being in the moment of the situation. She teaches that you should ask yourself a few questions...like "is this true?" And there are follow-up questions to help as well. So, to your statement about being inadequate...ask yourself...Is this true? Do you know for sure that it's true...how do you know that it's true...What this does is help you realize that whatever is true about is based on your own "stuff" and often isn't what others are thinking about you at all. Try her website...just google Byron Katie. Hope this gives food for thought. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared,

    We all have things that we can't figure out in our lives, but the most important thing is what we can figure out. If there is one thing in this world that I have finally figured out is that I will never have all the answers. I use to drive my self crazy trying to figure things out but then with my wifes guidance I started to learn to ask my self "In a year from now, will this matter"? You will soon find out that these inadequancys are not as relevent as you think. I have gained lots of sleep and have less stress because this one question I ask myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared, the "imposter syndrome" is one many people in all professions feel at any given time. Does it make things better? No, not necessarily. Take a deep breath and remember that you have insights, thoughts, and if nothing else, could easily share this with others by simply saying "I may not have the fullest response or the vast knowledge of this subject as I would like but I keep my eyes and ears open to learn more". Other will respond favorably and in turn, may add to your knowledge by sharing things they know. It never hurts to be vulnerable. To me, that is the hallmark of any leader and is the #1 trait I look for. Anissa

    The impostor syndrome, sometimes called impostor phenomenon or fraud syndrome, is a psychological phenomenon in which people are unable to internalize their accomplishments.Despite external evidence of their competence, those with the syndrome remain convinced that they are frauds and do not deserve the success they have achieved. Proof of success is dismissed as luck, timing, or as a result of deceiving others into thinking they are more intelligent and competent than they believe themselves to be.

    The impostor syndrome, in which competent people find it impossible to believe in their own competence, can be viewed as complementary to the Dunning–Kruger effect, in which incompetent people find it impossible to believe in their own incompetence.

    ReplyDelete