Thursday, June 2, 2011

Assignment 3.3

I found I agreed with much of the information found on the blog we were supposed to read for this assignment (http://victorhugor.blogspot.com/2009/05/learning-styles-theory-at-controversy.html).

There is a quote on the first page that reads as follows, "A major mismatch between instructor style and learners' styles can lead to trouble. For example, suppose that learners prefer independent work and reading, but the instructor prefers group projects. Never rely totally on any one method, but try to vary them. If a student does not seem to be learning, consider whether his/her learning style might be at odds with your teaching style. Remain flexible and be able to change planned learning activities if students are having trouble in a given area.”
I disagree with this because, as one that does not exactly prefer group assignments, I can cope and still do them and even learn from them. So, the part I disagree with is that it poses a problem for an instructor to use a teaching method that is not preferred by the students. Now, I do agree that teaching methods do need to be varied. As is posted in one of the later posts on the above blog, "For example, within one kindergarten class, the auditory learner could listen to stories about different holidays around the world, while the visual learner examined pictures of holiday celebrants, and the kinesthetic learner handled costumes and artifacts associated with the holidays. But is the theory correct? And, whether or not the theory is correct, might it not also be true that all of the kindergartners would learn the most about holidays by listening to stories, looking at pictures, and handling costumes?" (Willingham 2005)

In my experience as an instructional designer working in the computer-based training arena, I have always been told to try and engage as many senses as possible because it helps with retention. So, I think the same would apply in a classroom setting, that the more senses you engage in your students, the better for them to be able to retain what it is you're trying to teach them, regardless of the learning style they prefer. As is illustrated above, it just makes sense to me that a student who has seen pictures of, as well as has heard things about, and handled things having to do with a certain subject would have more knowledge of the subject than a student who had just done one of the above things. There is something to be gained by each student from each activity regardless of whether they really prefer it or not, at least, that is my opinion on the subject. Once again, I am now stepping off of my proverbial soapbox.

3 comments:

  1. The more I thought about my own preferred "learning style", the more that I realized that I actually learn the most by seeing, hearing and doing an activity. So, I completely agree with your opinion, and would assume that the best teaching strategy would be to accomodate all learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are on to something here. We learn by repetition. That's a proven fact. The more exposure, the better. Likely someone does learn better by one form of exposure....but all the varieties of exposure should increase the opportunity for it all to sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Jared. I have to agree with you. It's almost a matter of doing "whatever it takes" to make the learning stick, but deeper than that it's an effort to engage the mind and drive the point home.

    ReplyDelete