Friday, June 10, 2011

Assignment 4.2- Learning Journal

I think the biggest thing I have learned recently is that in every life experience we have, there are always things we can control, and things we can’t control. If we are focused on doing those things we can control, and, at the same time, not worrying about those things we can’t, those experiences are much less stressful for us…they pass much more easily. Why spend so much energy worrying about things that we can’t control?

In reflection, I find that I expend lots of energy worrying about things that are outside of my control, and sometimes even neglecting those things that I can do to “grease the wheels” as the expression goes. In neglecting certain things that I really should be taking care of, I pile more stress upon myself that really doesn’t need to be there. I know I need to be better about executing those things I can control.

I think that, in my case, I need to outline those things I can do, and be intent on completing them in any given situation. It may even be a good thing for me to outline those worries I have that are outside of my control, so I can physically throw them away. I find when I physically get rid of unwanted things in my life, the thoughts seem to follow suit. I think this will serve to help me to be a more focused and happy person.

3 comments:

  1. Jared,

    I like the way you think. Listing things that are out of your control and just throwing them away is a good idea. The one day that I went to church this year (bad on me)the preacher had us write one burdon on piece of paper and throw it into a burn box. Just the symbolic gesture of throwing out a burdon helped put my feelings at ease. Also from the looks of the photo on your webpage, you have all the support and happiness a man needs...family!

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Danny. It's funny how simple gestures like that seem to help us move on with life. Yeah, I struggled with what kind of picture to put on here, but in the end I decided that I would put a picture of my support group. They definitely make my days interesting and full of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared,
    Thank you for your insight! I'm going through some things right now and I also need to remember to not worry about the things that I can't control. Maybe I'll try your technique and just throw them away!

    btw..you have a beautiful family!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete